Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Beginnings.

At the end of last year I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  I was completely crushed because of what my doctor told me.  "You can no longer eat anything that contains gluten in it, such as wheat, barley or rye."  Basically he told me to cut out all happiness.  The dinner suggestions he gave me didn't make life any easier to imagine.  Oatmeal for breakfast, cheese and meat for lunch and some kind of soup for dinner.  Wow, that made me excited for this new lifestyle, I tell ya.  I will admit, I did break down from the news because many of the things I loved most were foods.  After I got over my pity party I decided that there had to be so much more out there than just gluten-free meat and cheese.  So with the help of my sweet husband, I went on a quest to find foods that had flavor and restaurants that I could go to without the pain of a celiac attack.

As I've gotten to know more and more people with Celiac disease, I was amazed at how little they knew about what was out there for them.  It made me sad that they had limited themselves to tasteless food when there was so much out there for them to enjoy.  This is the reason I have started this blog, to get the information out there for all those who suffer from a disease that limits the things we can eat.  Mind you, I am an extremely sensitive Celiac, and can usually tell within 10 minutes of eating something whether or not I've been contaminated.  I also suffer a lot if I am, so my quest for things that I could eat is a serious one, that can help Celiacs of any sensitivity. Throughout this blog I will be posting restaurant menus that are gluten-free and the experience of eating there as a Celiac.  I will also post about the foods out there that many people do not know are gluten-free, and some recipes that are really good and full of flavor to help your life be less dull.  ^-^  So take this Trek with me, to Boldly Eat Where There Is No Wheat!

No comments:

Post a Comment